Saturday, August 24, 2013

Mental Fitness: My Picks



Of the exercises we have practiced this term, I prefer the Subtle Mind and Visualization techniques.  To review, the Subtle Mind technique focuses on breathing while allowing thoughts to come and go, but always focusing on breathing.  I like this technique because it can be done by anyone and is not difficult to master with a little practice.  You also don’t need any special props, although calming music or nature sounds can be used if you prefer.  Breathing techniques are proven stress reducers by altering the physiology through decreasing blood pressure, pulse, and respirations.  By focusing on breathing, you also stay centered on one thought or action, which quiets your mind from all the chatter.  When thoughts enter in, you simply return your focus to your breath.  I have started practicing this technique during my breaks while at work.  My job can be stressful so this is a way to have a little peace in the midst of my day.  I have also tried this following my daily devotional which is usually just before I go to bed.  I have found that most times it is very effective at coaxing me right to sleep because instead of going through the laundry list of everything that happened that day, or what the next holds in store, I simply concentrate on my breathing and fall right to sleep.  Most recently, I tried this breathing technique in the midst of a stressful situation with a family member, where I simply concentrated on my breath, and it was enough of a time-out to focus my thoughts so that I could choose what to react to and what to let go.

I did not really care for the visualization exercises we completed in this class, but rather prefer the guided imagery visualizations in my Stress Management class.  In those visualizations, we were prompted to imagine a peaceful place; my favorite was a cabin in the mountains during a gentle snowfall, and focus on everything our senses would take in; the sights, the aromas, the sounds, the textures.  Because I was focusing on every detail of my “dream cabin” vacation spot, it was easy for me to push away all the other thoughts that crowded my mind and made me stress out.  I really enjoy this kind of mental exercise.  Again, it can be done anywhere, and there are no special props needed, although a quiet place does help.  The benefit is that you can keep going back to that same cabin, revisiting it like a favorite vacation spot, or go somewhere completely different the next time.  I have not practiced this very often because I find that for me it is time consuming because I can get lost in the imagery for quite some time.  I could write a novel in my head about all my experiences in my cabin!  This would be good if I were drifting off to sleep, but not so good in the middle of the day when time might be limited.  You would have to pick a spot where you were okay just popping in for a brief visit.  I have tried this many times when I just need a break from life.  In the evening when I get home is the best time for me to just sit and relax using this technique.  It lets me let go of the day and be more relaxed for an evening with my family.      

7 comments:

  1. Hi Sheila, great post and I agree on the visualizations. Although I do like the "loving-kindness" and "Meeting Aesclepius", I have found the cabin, walk in the woods, and the seashore ones from our previous class easier to tune out the chatter and escape to a beautiful place. I do think these would be easier to start clients off with as most people can easily relate to their ideal beautiful fantasy escape.

    I love that you've been able to use this in your daily life to manage your reactions and thought process with difficult situations. I have found that when I don't do the meditations for a few days, it does impact my thought process to where I am reacting rather than going to that calm place. It's been a reminder for me to get back on track. I have also found bedtime to be a great time to do meditation to ensure going right off to sleep... Have a great week!
    Lynne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lynne,

      Yes I was quite surprised that I found myself using this breathing technique because I usually just react, which is typically not good. I don't usually do this kind of meditation so it has been very challenging for me. But I guess the exercises are making an impact since I put such a technique into practice without really even realizing I was doing so!

      Delete
  2. Sometimes we need that "time out" don't we! Especially when it comes to our family members! I had a hard time also, with some of these exercises, I just could not get in to them. I did find the breathing exercises do work, and the whole time out for yourself is wonderful! I do realize how important it is to have 15 or 20 on your won, to relax and calm your brain, emotions and body.

    Thanks Sheila!

    Ann

    PS

    Are you going to keep blogging?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ann,

      Yes I find I am a better person if I occasionally put myself in time out, lol. I am going to try to keep blogging. My kids encouraged me a long time ago to blog my weight loss journey and I just did not have the time or energy to do it. Now that my divorce is final and I have a full time job again (my mediation was one day, I got fired the next...it was NOT a good week) I feel like I am settling in to the new "normal". I will likely redesign this site and just delete the class posts so I don't have to start from scratch. My diagnoses of diabetes within the last 8 weeks has spurred me to lose my last 70 pounds...ugh, 70 to go...so I will blog about that journey. I am sort of looking forward to it. I would not have been able to write with any sense of humor before and now that everything is settled I am in a much better place. Yay me :)

      Delete
  3. Hi Lynne,
    I love the visualization practice! I enjoy traveling and this method does not cost me any money. I also like to visualize previous actual experiences that I cherish and want to relive with my precious little family. It allows me to keep enjoying every stages of their lives. I find that this visualization technique relieves me of a headache and any pain that I may have. I tried it a couple of days ago when I was dealing with a tooth that was giving me problems. I envisioned myself off in another country enjoying the sights and smells. After fighting with my mind a little bit to stay on track, I was able to let go of the pain and have the rest of the day toothache free. ~Julia

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Julia,

    I hate tooth aches! That is so awesome that you were able to control the pain with visualization. I also love your suggestion of reliving cherished moments, I never thought of just taking a trip down memory lane as a form of meditation, but what a great idea. I will certainly give that a try. I think it would work better for me than the exercises in class.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Sheila,
    Toothaches are the worst! I used to think that I wanted to bottle up certain memories with my daughters and husband because I enjoyed them so much. I started writing down these moments in as much detail as I could and then later I would read them and feel I had just been there again. Hope this works for you and best wishes! ~Julia:)

    ReplyDelete